Saturday 2 October 2010

WIP from 'Richard Tyrone Jones has a big heart': Drugs rap

Every performance poet that does schools should have a rap about drugs.

Mine's pro-drugs, of course. Here's a sample. WIP. Think I should cut each verse down to 8 lines?

Without furosemide my life would be gruesome
hacking up litres of bubbly thick sputum
Caused by water in the blood not being pumped
out the heart, and instead being forced into the lungs
And though it can cause reduced mental alertness
severe dehydration, and sometimes jaundice
Without this lung-clearing diuretic
Life would be consumptive, immobile, pathetic
There's only one problem that can spoil it
All day I have to stay quite near a toilet.

I'm on drugs! I'm on good drugs!

There's Eplerenone for Tyrone Jones,
an agent to block aldosterone
That's a normally useful steroid hormone
as you all know, for renin-angiotensin control
But by increasing kidney reabsorption of water and sodium
and their secretion of potassium
Thus increasing blood volume and pressure
it means that heart failure can once again getcha
But Eplerenone stops it, decreasing blood volume sufficiently
That the heart pumps less blood but pumps it more efficiently

I'm on drugs! I'm on good drugs!
I'm on drugs! I'm on blood drugs!
I'm on drugga drug drug drug druggy drug drugs
drugga drugga drug good blood bloody good drugs!

No comments: